Why Sedation Dentistry
Being scared of the dentist is very normal. Sedation Dentistry in Greenwood offers patients an easy and cost effective way of conquering their fear. They can comfortably get their dental work done without any anxiety.
Oral sedation entails taking a pill to achieve a mild to moderate sedation. In contrast, IV sedation will achieve a much deeper sedation. You will take your first pill about one hour prior to your appointment. It takes 40-60 minutes for the medication to take effect. You will be brought back for your appointment and you may still feel “normal.” We may give you more medicine and wait until you feel comfortable to start. The appointment will then fly by for you! When we are done, we will assist you out and your driver will take you home so you can rest. The next day you won’t have any side effects and can go back to your day to day activities!
Do I need a ride to my appointment?
- Yes! You need a ride to and from your appointment. Since you will take a pill one hour before you come in for your appointment, it is not safe for you to drive to the office. When your procedure is done, you will be very drowsy and should not drive.
How long will the sedation last?
- The medicine takes 40 minutes to 1 hour for its effects to begin. How long it will last varies from person to person. For most people, the effects wear off after 2-5 hours.
Will I remember the appointment?
- Most likely, you will not.
Will my appointment be faster?
- Not necessarily. In fact, sometimes appointments are longer. This is to ensure that you are comfortable before we get started.
What’s the pros and cons of oral sedation vs IV sedation?
- Oral Sedation Pros: It is cheaper and is ideal for mildly to moderately anxious patients.
- Oral Sedation Cons: Appointment are a little longer, as it takes time for the medication to take effect.
- IV Sedation Pros: You can achieve much deeper sedation and appointments are shorter.
- IV Sedation Cons: This is a more expensive option.
If you’re interested in our sedation dentistry services in Greenwood, IN, all our office today to schedule your appointment.